Understanding Space and Applied Space Systems Engineering in Harwell, UK!
Two essential courses in just one week!
|Understanding Space – February 10-11, 2020
Applied Space Systems Engineering – February 12-14, 2020
|Satellite Applications Catapult
|Both Courses – 5 Days – £1699
Understanding Space Only – 2 Days – £749
ASSE Only – 3 Days – £1199All prices are excluding VAT.
Interested in the course? Want to be notified when the details are finalized? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out the interest form here.
Applied Space Systems Engineering
A Practical Approach to Achieving Technical Baselines
This three day course examines the practical application of space systems engineering processes throughout the life cycle. The course is aimed at practical, hands-on application of systems engineering tools and processes that can be realistically applied within your project environment to produce effective space systems. Using a combination of lecture, interactive discussions and group exercises, the course presents a detailed review of 17 major systems engineering processes within three major categories: Design, Realization and Systems Engineering Management. A detailed end-to-end space system case study is used to translate theory to practice by illustrating detailed how-to examples for achieving and establishing each major technical baseline throughout the mission life cycle.
At the end of this course you will have the knowledge, tools and experience to enter any phase of the space mission life cycle and apply systems engineering processes to achieve practical results. You’ll walk away with….
• Enhanced understanding of the big picture of space systems engineering processes and their application in the mission life cycle
• A detailed working knowledge of the practical steps needed to execute each of the 17 systems engineering processes
• Practical experience applying systems engineering processes to example space system problems
• Organized framework for future space learning—on your own, in academic courses, or other short courses
An Introduction to Astronautics and Space Systems Engineering
This exciting, fast-paced two-day course delivers the “big picture” of space missions from cradle to grave. Understanding Space is the ideal course for technical or non-technical professionals new to the space industry or who need a refresher on the fundamentals.
- Gain Core Space Knowledge
- Define and describe important astronautics terms and concepts
- Comprehend space mission Capabilities, Trade-offs and Limitations
- Explain how and why space is used to provide capabilities on Earth
- Apply Space Concepts to real-world problems
- Calculate basic orbit and system parameters that drive mission scope and cost
- Analyze Typical Space Problems
- Compare and contrast different technical approaches for space missions
- Synthesize concepts to Design a Space Mission
- Design a space mission given some basic goals and objectives and develop a top-level project plan for it
- Evaluate basic technical and programmatic space issues
- Assess the technical merits of various space mission architectures
Who Should Attend
Engineers, scientists, or managers either new to the space field or who want to broaden their understanding of the big picture of space systems and operations.
Dr. Peter Van Wirt, is a former Deputy Department Head for Labs and Research of the Department of Astronautics at the U.S. Air Force Academy. He has been a visiting lecturer for the Technical University of Delft’s SpaceTech Master’s degree in space systems engineering and is an adjunct professor for the space systems engineering Master’s program at the Stevens Institute of Technology. He also instructs at the National Security Space Institute in Colorado Springs, CO. He has served as a systems engineer/program manager for a variety of U.S. Air Force engineering developments. Peter has over 30 years of aerospace engineering experience and over 20 years teaching experience. He earned his doctorate at Utah State University.