Scaled Agile Framework® (SAFe®) for Teams
The Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe®) helps businesses address the significant challenges of developing and delivering enterprise-class software and systems in the shortest sustainable lead time. It is as an online, freely revealed knowledge base of proven success patterns for implementing Lean-Agile software and systems at enterprise scale.
SAFe synchronizes alignment, collaboration, and delivery for large numbers of Agile teams. Scalable and configurable, SAFe allows each organization to adapt it to its own business needs. It supports smaller-scale solutions employing 50–125 practitioners, as well as complex systems that require thousands of people.
A Scaled Agile Framework® (SAFe) Agile Team member, represented by the SAFe 5 Practitioner (SP) certification, is a professional on a team of dedicated individuals who, together, have the skills necessary to define (elaborate and design their component or Feature), build (implement their component or Feature), and test (run test cases to validate their component or Feature) increments of value in a short timeframe.
During this two-day virtual course, attendees of SAFe® for Teams training course will gain an in-depth understanding of the ART, how it delivers value, and what they can do to effectively perform their role using Scrum, Kanban, and XP.
They will also learn how to write stories and break down features, plan and execute iterations, and plan Program Increments. Finally, they’ll learn about the continuous delivery pipeline and DevOps culture, how to effectively integrate with other teams in the program, and what it takes to continuously improve the train.
Attending the class prepares individuals to take the exam and achieve certification for SAFe® 5 Practitioner (SP).
During this course you will learn how to:
- Prepare for SAFe 5 Practitioner Exam and become a certified SAFe® 5 Practitioner (SP)
- Explain SAFe Agile Principles
- Apply SAFe to scale Lean and Agile development in your enterprise
- Plan Iterations
- Plan Program Increments
- Execute Iterations and demonstrate value
- Improve Agile Release Train processes
- Integrate and work with other teams on the Agile Release Train
- Perform as member of an Agile Team on an Agile Release Train
Topics covered introducing the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe), building an Agile team, planning and executing the iteration and executing the program increment.
Price of the course includes:
- Delivery of two-day SAFe® for Teams training course conducted by a experienced trainer certified by Scaled Agile, Inc., provider of SAFe®
- Preparation and eligibility to take the SAFe® 5 Practitioner (SP) certification exam (SAFe 5 Practitioner Exam)
- Fully equipped training room
- Refreshments and working lunch during the training course
- Attendee workbook licensed by Scaled Agile, Inc.
- One year membership to the SAFe Community Platform, with access to members-only resources such as webinars, workbooks, guidance presentations, and advance notice of upcoming SAFe products
- One Certification exam attempt upon General Availability of the course
- Course certificate of completion
- SAFe 5 Practitioner certification upon passing of exam
Who should attend?
- Team members who apply Lean and Agile at scale
- All members of an Agile Release Train preparing for launch
All are welcome to attend the course, regardless of experience. However, the following prerequisites are highly recommended for those who intend to take the SAFe® Practitioner (SP) certification exam:
- Familiarity with Agile concepts and principles
- Awareness of Scrum, Kanban, and XP
- Working knowledge of software and hardware development processes
Multimedia presentations, group exercises and discussion, practical workshops, case study and practice tests. Attendees must attend both days to qualify to take the exam.
Licensing of the SAFe® training course
SAFe® for Teams training course offered by TSTI is provided under Scaled Agile, Inc. Partner Program Agreement and complies with the requirements for Scaled Agile, Inc. Courseware License Agreement.
About the Certification Exam
A SAFe Practitioner (SP) is a Scaled Agile Framework®(SAFe) team member responsible for using Scrum, Kanban, and Extreme Programming (XP) in a SAFe environment. Key areas of responsibility include planning Program Increments and Iterations, breaking requirements into stories, developing incrementally with built-in quality, demonstrating value at a team and program level, and problem-solving impediments to drive relentless improvement. Attending the class prepares you to take the exam and become a certified SAFe® 5 Practitioner (SP). You must attend both days of the course to be eligible for the exam. Note that attending the course does not guarantee passing the exam.
These skills and knowledge are highly recommended to successfully pass the SAFe® 5 Practitioner (SP)certification exam:
- Familiarity with Scrum, Kanban, and XP
- Familiarity with Agile concepts and principles
- Working knowledge of software or hardware development processes
Name: SAFe® 5 Practitioner Exam
Exam format: Multiple Choice, Multiple Select
Exam delivery: Web-based (single-browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed
Exam access: Candidates can access the exam within the SAFe Community Platform upon completion of the SAFe for Teams course
Exam duration: Once the exam begins, candidates have 90 minutes (1.5 hours) to complete the exam
Number of questions: 45
Passing score: 35 out of 45 (77% passing score)
Exam cost: First exam attempt is included as part of the course registration fee if the exam is taken within 30 days of course completion. Each retake attempt costs $50
Retake policy: Second attempt on exam (first retake) can be done immediately after first attempt. Third attempt requires a 10-day wait. Fourth attempt requires a 30-day wait
Exam study materials
The exam is designed to measure knowledge and skill related to the job role. We highly recommend candidates use a variety of resources to prepare for this exam including:
- Course materials – The course materials are an essential artifact from the course and can be downloaded from the SAFe Community Platform. These materials can be used to refer back to the content that was presented during the class.
- Study guide – This comprehensive guide details the job role and all resources related to the exam, including a detailed reading list. Access is available through the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform upon course completion.
- Practice test – The practice test is designed to be predictive of success on the certification exam,* and it has the same number of questions, level of difficulty, and time duration. It is part of the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform and can be taken an unlimited number of times at no cost. *This is not the actual exam, and passing it does not guarantee success on the certification exam.
- Sample test – Download questions
Why take the exam?
Becoming a SAFe 5 Practitioner requires an exceptional range of skills and is a career path for many servant leaders. Certification includes:
- SAFe Practitioner PDF certificate
- A SAFe 5 Practitioner digital badge to promote your accomplishment online
- One-year membership. to the SAFe Community Platform, which includes access to the SP Community of Practice
- A SAFe Practitioner certification usage guide with SP certification marks
- Access to Meetup groups and events that connect you with other SAFe certified professionals
- Access to a variety of learning resources to support certified professionals during their SAFe journey
- Learn more about the benefits of SAFe community membership.
Certificates expire one year from the date the certification is earned. The renewal fee is $100.
More detailed information about SAFe examination can be found at the Scaled Agile website.